We do appreciate your interest, as we recognize that you have a number of summer opportunities to explore. Over our many years, Camp Buckskin has become a time-tested and proven program because of the efforts and dedication of our staff. Without question, we know that our staff are what really make the program ‘work.’ They develop the skills that will position our campers to become more successful, happier people.
Camp Buckskin is not only a great place for campers to learn and grow, but our staff as well. Every summer our staff tell us they learned more over the course of the summer than they did in a semester or even a year of school. They also have expressed that camp was a real challenge. At the same time they felt camp was extremely rewarding as it produced a significant sense of accomplishment. They knew they had made a real difference in the lives of others as well as their own.
We are looking for people who:
- Have a genuine interest in working with and concern for the young people we serve
- Problem solve, communicate well with others and provide leadership skills
- Will provide our campers a positive role model to emulate
- Want to help our campers gain knowledge and skills- and acquire the same in the process
- Are comfortable living and working in a structured environment that emphasizes teamwork among and support for everyone
- Accept responsibility for self and actions, and who will share this philosophy with our campers
- Welcome challenges and see them through to completion
Why work for Camp Buckskin?
Camp Buckskin is a great place to gain personal and professional experience. As you help our campers learn and grow, you’ll learn just as much in the process.
At camp you will work closely with some of the most amazing people you will ever meet. Our staff is quite diverse. People from all over the world come to northern Minnesota to share their abilities and learn from each other.
Our supervisors provide the staff with the support and guidance needed to achieve the program objectives and develop your abilities. Our 1:3 (staff to camper) ratio provides great flexibility in best helping campers and staff to learn. This makes for an outstanding support network.
We pride ourselves in offering the best training possible. Our initial precamp training is 12 days long. We include both theoretical and practical knowledge, with an emphasis on the latter. Obviously, this training is important at camp. However, the knowledge and skills gained will be valuable throughout your personal and professional life.
Precamp Training includes:
- Counseling Techniques
- Positive Social Skill Interventions
- Reality Therapy
- Choice Theory
- Crisis Prevention Techniques
- Conflict Resolution
- Behavior Modification
- Seminar with a Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist